Bring Your Appetite: 12 San Francisco Chefs and Restaurants Nominated for Dining's Highest Honors
There's no question that San Francisco is one of the culinary capitals of the world. Bon Appetit magazine has already said we're the best food city in the country. Now the 2016 James Beard Foundation Award nominations are saluting the incredible talent in San Francisco's bars and restaurants.
The James Beard Foundation presents its awards annually to the chefs, restaurateurs, journalists and designers who excel on the culinary scene. There's simply no higher honor for professional foodies in America. This is the Oscars of food!
The Liholiho Yacht Club at the southern edge of Nob Hill was nominated as Best New Restaurant. Belinda Leong and Michel Suas of B. Patisserie, which is not far from the Presidio, were nominated as Outstanding Bakers, as was William Werner of Craftsman and Wolves in the Mission.
Bar Agricole in the bustling SOMA neighborhood was nominated for Outstanding Bar Program.
Michael Tusk was nominated as Outstanding Chef and his entire team at Quince was nominated for Outstanding Service.
A trio of San Francisco chefs are up for consideration in the Best Chef: West category: Corey Lee of Benu, Matthew Accarino of SPQR and Dominique Crenn of Atelier Crenn. You can taste Matthew and Dominique's creations on trendy Fillmore Street.
Last but by no means least, Michael Mina has been nominated as Outstanding Restaurateur. Michael has been a leader in San Francisco's culinary scene for years and owns a number of restaurants across the city, including Bourbon Steak and RN74. Even if you don't have the chance to snag a table at one of his establishments, you can still have the authentic Michael Mina experience during your visit. Follow Michael's suggestions for the must-see, must-do and must-taste attractions of San Francisco.
The winners will be announced on May 2. Make your reservations now so that you'll be able to make your friends back home drool with envy.
The full list of nominees are:
- Best New Restaurant - Liholiho Yacht Club
- Outstanding Baker - Belinda Leong and Michel Suas, B. Patisserie and William Werner, Craftsman and Wolves
- Outstanding Bar Program - Bar Agricole
- Outstanding Chef - Michael Tusk, Quince
- Outstanding Restauranteur - Michael Mina, Mina Restaurants, San Francisco (Michael Mina, Bourbon Steak, RN74, and others) and Cindy Pawlcyn, Napa, CA (Mustards Grill, Cindy's Backstreet Kitchen, Cindy's Waterfront at the Monterey Bay Aquarium)
- Outstanding Service - Quince
- Outstanding Wine, Beer or Spirits Professional - Miljenko Grgich, Grgich Hills Estate, Rutherford, CA
- Best Chef: West - Matthew Accarrino, SPQR, Dominique Crenn, Atelier Crenn and Corey Lee, Benu