Assist the Manager, Visitor Experience in supervising the daily onsite operations of the Visitor Information Center. Position informs the Visitor Experience Associates, volunteers and interns in the VIC’s operations, tourist information, current San Francisco events and SF Travel Association partnership programs. Duties also include assisting with the training of VIC staff members and volunteers, along with presenting work assignments for VIC personnel. Maintain inventory. Handling resolution of all complaints. Assist in motivating personnel to assure that sales goals are achieved. Ensure that VIC personnel are efficiently handling incoming calls, as well as correspondences by various means.
The candidate we want:
· You’re a genuinely inspiring leader energized to motivate a team of staff and volunteers to provide an unsurpassed customer experience.
· You have a strong background in critical management skills: people, operations, service, and project management.
· You love identifying opportunities for improvement, and leading the charge in making those improvements a reality.
· You understand the visitor experience and what influences behavior and perceptions in a service environment.
· You engage well with others and you are passionate about providing an exemplary customer experience.
· You’re a team player who thinks quickly on their feet.
· You love San Francisco and want to enrich people’s lives by sharing all the wonderful things the city has to offer.
The things you’ll do:
On the floor supervision and coaching: 60%
· Supervise daily operations for the Visitor Information Center – acting as the Lead on duty.
· Responsible for maintaining accurate records of receipts, sales reports, inventory reports, Visitor incident reports, cash error reports, and the direct follow up with cashiers on errors.
· Responsible for the smooth operation of the center: ensuring the completion of daily operational tasks, opening and closing the center on time, and a high standard for display and service are observed.
· Responsible for reinforcing all policies and procedures, as stipulated in the manual, and ability to delegate additional tasks to staff as assigned, maintaining a high standard of accountability for execution of tasks.
· Submit a daily end of day report with pertinent sales, attendance, and operational observations.
· Ability to supervise operations at all SF Travel Visitor Center locations as needed: Hallidie Plaza or Moscone Center (opening January 2019)
Customer Service and Sales: 10%
· Perform all duties of a Visitor Experience Associate as assigned, including all cashier tasks, Information Desk tasks, and other roles as assigned.
· The Senior Associate is responsible for maintaining the quality of service provided by setting the example.
· The Senior Associate will support sales goals by leading staff in training in partner knowledge and sales; enabling staff and volunteers to effectively refer partner services.
· Highly empowered to make decisions that would mutually benefit the center and the visitor.
Projects in support of Visitor Experience programs – 30%
· Assist management in maintaining informational and sales reference materials and databases. Create editorials and training materials that enable staff and volunteers to effectively provide value to partners and visitors.
· Recruitment, training, and ongoing enrichment programs for Information Desk volunteers and staff.
· Assist in the supervision and execution of meeting and city-wide event Information Services provided by San Francisco Travel (example: tourism industry events, city wide events, etc)
· Serve as a MY SF Destination and Tourism Industry Certificate Program trainer, partnering with 3rd party Visitor Center operators and hospitality industry participants to provide ongoing education FAM events.
· Perform other duties that may be assigned.
· 1-3 years of retail supervisory experience, or equivalent experience.
· 1-3 years managing a sales incentive program
· 1-3 years of volunteer management or supervisory experience
· Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, including weekend shifts.
· Must be available to work June – August, extended vacations are not permitted during our peak visitor season.
· Excellent customer service skills and ability to deal with many different types of individuals from diverse ethnic and cultural backgrounds.
· Ability to develop and train others.
· Ability to lead a team.
· Excellent delegation and follow-up skills.
· Excellent attention to detail.
· Demonstrated project management and process creation skills.
· Demonstrated verbal and written communication.
· Understands and is comfortable using different communication channels like social media.
· Excellent command of Microsoft Office Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Access, and Outlook.
· Demonstrated business comprehension.
· Associate’s Degree in Business, Hospitality or other related field (Bachelor’s Degree preferred)
· Fluency in a second (or more) language other than English desired.
· Excellent knowledge of San Francisco.
· The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
· Work week will occasionally exceed 37 ½ hours. Must be able to work weekends, holidays, to travel to various sites around the city and to be able to lift 30 lbs.
· The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is an office open to public with computers, telephones, and printers operating.
Note: The essential functions of this position include, but are not necessarily limited to, those specifically identified in this description. The position and its essential functions may change over time and these changes may not necessarily be reflected in the position description. The Bureau may, at its sole discretion, add to, change, or expand the essential or marginal functions of this position.
If you think you are the right candidate for this position, please provide us with the following:
1. Cover letter (no more than a page, telling us why you’re the right person for this role). This is a very important step in the application process, so please take time to answer thoughtfully and thoroughly.
2. Detailed resume of your relevant experience – note that a resume sent without a creative and functionally informative cover letter will only minimally be considered
Send to the following email address: 2018_Sr.firstname.lastname@example.org
Associate, Visitor Experience – Seasonal
The Associate, Visitor Experience drives results and enhances the visitors experience by providing exceptional service that supports San Francisco Travel’s mission by acting as an ambassador at our Visitor Information Center. The mission of the San Francisco Travel Association is to enhance the local economy by marketing San Francisco and the Bay Area as the premier destination for conventions, meetings events and leisure travel.
What you will be doing:
- Assist a diverse and international set of visitors in their travel details, providing expert assistance and recommendations in San Francisco restaurants, attractions, tours, and neighborhoods.
- Assess needs by responding to visitor cues and asking questions to arrive at the best recommendation for that individual or group. .
- Educate customers on the benefits of all products carried by the ViC. (City Pass, Muni Passport, Hop on Hop off buses, etc)
- Completes all cashier-required transactions with accuracy and efficiency, selling transportation packages, tour packages, and attraction tickets.
- Assigned as needed to work the City Information Desk at the Moscone Center, assisting business and convention travelers with recommendations for after work activities.
- Work efficiently to assist visitors while maintaining an excellent standard of service
- Assist in necessary duties to present the best possible experience for visitors, maintaining a clean and welcoming environment. (example: restocking brochures, organizing displays, greeting and crowd control, etc)
- Constantly building your knowledge and expertise of the San Francisco experience, completing all provided training and activities to familiarize yourself with the services offered by partners of San Francisco Travel (example: attending attraction tours and open houses, going on half day excursions to popular destinations, keeping up to date on city news and events)
- Compliance with all SF Travel policies and procedures.
- Demonstrated passion for extraordinary customer service.
- Attention to detail.
- Ability to prioritize tasks.
- Retail experience preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate with customers and store personnel.
- Computer proficiency.
- Fluency in a second (or more) language other than English.
- Excellent knowledge of San Francisco public transportation and neighborhoods.
- Ability to work a flexible schedule to meet the needs of the business, which will require weekend shifts.
- Ability to work in an outdoor environment for a full eight hour shift.
- Ability to work in a 100% standing environment.
- Ability to lift a minimum of 20 pounds.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- High School Graduation and partial to full College Degree
- Must have strong oral and written communication skills
- Able to handle cash transactions
- Basic technical skills related to but not limited to computers, tablets, mobile devices, printers/copiers, scanners
If you think you are the right candidate for this position, please provide us with the following:
- Cover letter (no more than a page, telling us why you’re the right person for this role)
- Detailed resume of your relevant experience – note that a resume sent without a creative and functionally informative cover letter will only minimally be considered
- Past salary history and future income requirements and/or goals
- File names should be in the following format: First initial, last name, and file type (Ex. J. Doe Cover Letter, J. Doe Resume)
- Email subject line should include the job title of the position you’re applying for
Send resume and cover letter attachments to: 2017_VI.email@example.com (OC-AVE)
San Francisco Volunteer Ambassador
Looking to share your knowledge of San Francisco with others? Love helping others have a wonderful experience? Volunteering at the San Francisco Travel Visitor Information Center may be just what you're looking for. View more information including benefits and volunteer opportunities here.