San Francisco International Airport (SFO) is your gateway to San Francisco, Northern California, and the West Coast. One of the busiest, most innovative, and most passenger-friendly gateways on the west coast, SFO has led the way nationally in promoting and practicing safe travel while combatting COVID-19. Now, a whole host of specific amenities and policies are in place to ensure that you travel well.
Getting To and From SFO
Located just 14 miles south of most of San Francisco's major attractions and largest hotels, SFO is accessible by car, taxi, ride-share, bus and train. For the latest details, including the cost and frequency of public transit options such as BART, click here.
- Increased the cleaning of touchpoints such as handrails, buttons and door handles with an EPA-approved effective germicidal agent that kills all coronaviruses and is outlined in CDC recommendations for cleaning and disinfection. SFO has received the Airport Health Accreditation from the Airports Council International, signifying its preparedness.
- Deployed battery-operated sprayers and all-surface cleaning equipment for specialized and as-needed cleaning requirements.
- Added hundreds of hand sanitizer stations throughout the terminals.
- Required that all passengers and employees wear a mask or facial covering while at SFO. Please remember to bring your own face covering.
- Implemented physical distancing practices. To help maintain proper spacing (six feet between persons), markers have been placed in queuing and seating areas. Additionally, only two passengers may use any of SFO's elevators at one time.
- Installed plastic barriers in high-traffic locations such as TSA checkpoint kiosks, information desks, and airline counters.
Additionally, travelers at SFO have the opportunity to be tested for COVID-19 on site. There are three locations:
- Dignity Health-GoHealth Urgent Care - Located in the International Terminal Departures Hall.
- XpresCheck - Located on the Arrivals Level of Terminal 3.
- Worksite Labs - A drive-thru testing location adjacent to the Long-Term Parking Lot and Cell Phone Waiting Lot.
Tests are available on a walk-in, first-come, first-served basis, but appointments are recommended due to limited capacity. Passengers must show a valid boarding pass or airline reservation to use these services. For more information, click here.
COVID-19 has necessitated changes to the way passengers enter, exit, and move through the airport terminals. Here are just a few examples:
- Passengers are encouraged to use mobile boarding passes and contactless forms of payment.
- Passengers may now travel with up to 12 oz. of hand sanitizer in their carry-on luggage.
- To help maintain physical distancing in pre-security areas, arrange to meet your party or be dropped off at the curb outside the terminal.
To learn more about what to expect when traveling through SFO, click here.
What's Open at SFO
SFO has world-class amenities that are beloved by its international clientele.
Each terminal has restaurants where you can sample some San Francisco originals either as soon as you arrive or as one last treat before you depart. For a full list of available restaurants, broken out by location, click here.
SFO's retail establishments are open, including duty-free stores. For a full list, click here.
Contact your carrier to learn if their SFO lounges are open and if there are any restrictions to their use.
Connected to the airport terminals by SFO's AirTrain, the 351-room Grand Hyatt at SFO offers convenient, luxury accommodation. To learn more about the hotel named by passengers as one of the best airport hotels in the country, click here.
There aren't many airports that let you step outside after you've checked in. At SFO, you can enjoy the outdoor SkyTerrace and its 180-degree views of the airfield and the rolling hills beyond. Located atop Terminal 2, the SkyTerrace is open Friday to Monday, from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m., this summer. Food and beverages are allowed but smoking is not permitted.
Did you know that SFO is the first airport in the country to be accredited by the American Alliance of Museums? It's true! Wherever you go in SFO, you'll find sculpture, murals, historic photographs, curated fashion collections, light art, and more. To learn what's currently on view, click here.
- The Airport Travel Agency is open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- Freshen Up shower facilities are open daily from 6:00 a.m. to 11:00 p.m.
- The USO Center is open daily from 7:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- SFO's Medical Clinic, located in the International Terminal, is open Monday-Friday, 7:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. and Saturday, 9:00 a.m. to 4:00 p.m.
- Information desks open daily from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m.
- TSA Precheck lanes are available.
Air Service at SFO
SFO is one of the most connected airports in the world. With travel restrictions being lifted, domestic and international service is returning to the airport. To find out which carriers are operating out of SFO, as well as their upcoming service offerings, click here.
Need help remembering all this vital info? Maybe a song will help. Check out SFO's first original music video. It covers all the bases—and it's catchy, too!