This is a truncated version of the RFP. You can view the entire RFP here.
The purpose of this Request for Proposal is to seek and retain a qualified, innovative agency to provide creative support, media strategy, planning, management and buying services.
In 2022, San Francisco Travel identified the need to launch a high-reach brand campaign to hasten the city’s recovery and counteract negative media messages that became especially prevalent during the height of the pandemic. San Francisco Travel has developed an approved campaign concept and was recently awarded a multi-million dollar EDA subgrant by Visit California and an economic development grant from the San Francisco Office of Workforce Development. These services will support the launch of a $4.7MM domestic high-reach brand campaign in 2023 to drive visitation to San Francisco. The project must be billed in full by December 31, 2023. Once selected, the agency must be prepared to begin work with San Francisco Travel immediately.
This project is funded through a grant provided by Visit California through an award under Federal Grant Award 07-79-07802 by the Economic Development Administration under §703 and 209 of the Public Works and Economic Development Act of 1965, as amended, 42 U.S.C. §§ 3149 and 3233. As a result, all vendors awarded contracts must be willing to abide by all required provisions of federal laws and regulations, including without limitation 2 CFR §§200.326 and 200.327.
In accordance with 2 CFR 170.200 (Federal awarding agency reporting requirements), Federal awarding agencies are required to publicly report Federal awards that equal or exceed the micro-purchase threshold ($10,000) and publish the required information on a public-facing, OMB-designated, governmentwide website and follow OMB guidance to support Transparency Act implementation.
San Francisco Travel Association hereby notifies all bidders that it will affirmatively ensure that in any contract entered into pursuant to this advertisement, minority business enterprises will be afforded full opportunity to submit bids in response to this invitation and will not be discriminated against on the basis of race, color, religious creed, sex, national origin or any other basis protected by applicable law.
Any Contract awarded through this RFP is dependent on a federal grant award, the San Francisco Travel Association reserves the right to reduce the level of services to match reduced levels of funding, or at its option, may terminate this Contract, should the funding source no longer be available, or the amount be reduced.
Scope of Work
- Provide a comprehensive research-based media strategy for the brand campaign
- Identify key target audiences
- Identify KPIs to measure performance
- Recommend specific tactics across all channels
- Measure against established benchmarks
- Execution of an RFP process with media vendors
- Evaluation of media proposals
- Delivery of comprehensive media plan and flowchart
- Media vendor management and communication
- Buying services and placing of all insertion orders
- Manage campaign optimizations and make recommendations to increase ROI
- Ongoing review of media opportunities
- Provide monthly reporting of KPIs
- Creative support as needed for the campaign (extension of current approved campaign concept)
The project partner will be expected to take the lead during all project phases, working with direction from the San Francisco Travel global marketing team.
In a maximum of 10 pages, please provide the following information:
Please include the following items:
- A letter of interest;
- A description of your company’s primary services;
- The year in which your company was formed;
- The address from which the primary work on the contract would be performed;
- Numbers of total employees and contractors; and
- A current and past client list.
Conflict of Interest
Please list all tourism-related clients for whom you have acted during the past 12 months. Please include a brief description of the type of activity and services you provide.
Company Management & Staff
Please include the following items:
- The contract manager for this scope of work; and
- The individuals who will be conducting the day-to-day work.
For all individuals assigned to this account, please provide:
- Current resumes/biographies demonstrating qualifications related to this RFP; and
- Length of time with your company
Showcase studies (minimum of three) with demonstrated results relevant to San Francisco Travel (scale, industry)
- Please describe your familiarity with San Francisco and experience working with Destination Marketing Organizations.
General project questions
- Please describe your process for planning media, including how you establish goals, select partners and approach targeting given the estimated budget.
- List the project phases and key milestones typically used when developing a comprehensive, multi-million dollar media plan.
- Please describe your approach to optimization during the span of a project.
- Please describe your approach to client service, including your process for handling one-off requests, your average response time, and escalation process. Comment on the process used when beginning a relationship with a new client.
- Please describe your approach to reporting and how you work with custom reporting requirements.
- Please describe your access to industry-based research.
- Please provide an overview of your capabilities to provide creative/digital production support.
The current budget for this project is $4,700,000 inclusive of fees.
- Please provide an overview of your fee structure for services.
- Demonstrate financial viability for maintaining a budget of this size.
- Please provide method of billing for work.
San Francisco Travel will form a committee to evaluate the written proposals. The criteria for the scoring of the proposals is included in Attachment A. The committee may at any time during the evaluation process, seek clarification from Proposers regarding any information contained within their proposal. Final scores for each Proposer will reflect a consensus of the evaluation committee. Any attempt by an agency to contact a member of the evaluation committee outside the RFP process to gain knowledge or advantage may result in the disqualification of the Proposer.
The top finalists chosen by the evaluation committee will be asked to provide virtual presentations to the evaluation committee. All proposers and key team members working on the account should ensure they are available for the virtual presentation during the dates presented in the key dates schedule. After the virtual presentations, there will be a question and answer period. You will be notified of the total presentation time. The criteria for the scoring of the oral presentations is included as Attachment B.
All proposals submitted shall become the property of San Francisco Travel and shall not be returned to the Proposer. San Francisco Travel also reserves the right to:
- Reject any and all bids;
- Cancel this RFP;
- Revise the amount of funds available under this RFP;
- Amend this RFP as needed; and
- Not select a vendor and award a contract from this RFP
Preferred Delivery: Electronic (PDF)
Deliver to: [email protected]. Due date: 3/27/23, no later than 5 PM.
All inquiries regarding this RFP should be directed to:
Vice President, Global Marketing
San Francisco Travel Association
1 Front Street, Suite 2900
San Francisco, CA 94111
e: [email protected]