Manager, Convention Sales California
Manager of Convention Sales is responsible for the lead generation and hotel booking production for convention sales self-contained accounts. (Accounts in California with peak night rooms of 50 or less.) Also refers any citywide business for The Moscone Center from assigned territories to the Director, Citywide Accounts for the appropriate vertical market in order to maximize new and repeat convention business for the City and County of San Francisco. Manager is responsible for the management of administrative associate.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
- Responsible for soliciting and booking self-contained hotel group business for San Francisco hotels with primary focus on booking hotel room nights in assigned territory.
- Responsible for working with customers, assisting them with navigating hotel and venue products, keeping close contact with the customer and hotels in order to confirm group business.
- Generate convention group leads and bookings and responsible for achieving or exceeding room night goals.
- Work efficiently to ensure leads and revisions are communicated to appropriate hotels/venues in a timely fashion.
- Develop, implement and execute territorial sales plan and strategies, demonstrating an understanding of the overall market, i.e., hotels’ strengths and weaknesses, economic trends, supply and demand .
- Work collaboratively with San Francisco Home Office and Regional Sales Offices and assist with selling, implementation and follow-through of group sales strategies.
- Actively solicit and maintain accounts in assigned territory by conducting direct sales efforts through bids, targeted sales missions, sales calls and participation at tradeshows and industry activities that are designed to reach group meeting planners.
- Partner with hotels’ sales teams on sales calls in order to exchange knowledge and better understand each hotel’s needs.
- Be an active member of local market industry organizations (i.e. MPI, PCMA, ASAE, IAEE, Green Meetings Council etc.).
- Arrange and participate in client appreciation events for meeting planners headquartered in the designated geographical territory.
- Conduct follow up sales calls as a result of direct sales activities.
- Create and submit a detailed call report prior to and after a sales trip is conducted.
- Produce detailed expense reports at the conclusion of sales trips and tradeshows.
- Handle all clients from initial contact through booking. Maintain detailed records of all client interaction utilizing USI our CRM system.
- Uncover new business that is not in our database.
- Interface with hotel and other San Francisco Travel partners to facilitate efficient and thorough follow up based on these fields.
- Arrange site inspections of San Francisco and accompany clients when appropriate.
- Maintain records of all client contact, traces and account management in our CRM system.
- Obtain feedback on quality of the client experience by sending out surveys (managed by sales manager if group has 249 rooms peak or less).
- Document all pertinent file activity electronically and in hard copy file.
- Carry out periodic assignment of special promotional activities.
- Participate in and attend San Francisco Travel sponsored events.
- Give oral sales presentations as needed.
- Occasional overnight travel.
- Other duties may be assigned.
Directly supervises one employee in the Convention Sales Department. Carry out supervisory responsibilities with San Francisco Travel’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees; planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Possesses excellent oral and written communications skills.
- Self-motivated individual with proven record of sales ability.
- Ability to communicate and work well with others in a professional manner.
- Ability to handle multiple priorities.
Education and/or Experience
Education and/or training equivalent to college graduate, preferably with a degree in business administration or hospitality management plus three years experience in the hotel or convention industry directly related to group sales.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Domestic and international travel is mandatory. Minimal lifting, carrying, pushing and pulling associated with trade show booth logistics.
Work week will regularly exceed 37.5 hours, with occasional evening and weekend work. Operate computer and office equipment. Lift up to 50 pounds of office supplies or computer equipment.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. The work environment is a business office with computers, telephones, and printers.