The mission of SF Travel is to enhance the local economy by marketing SF as the premier destination for conventions, meetings events.
The mission of the San Francisco Travel Association is to enhance the local economy by marketing San Francisco and the Bay Area as the premier destination for conventions, meetings events and leisure travel. We are the economic engine for the city, and travel is our fuel.
Current Staff Openings:
Sr. Manager, Convention Sales (West Coast - based in San Francisco)
The mission of the San Francisco Travel Association is to enhance the local economy by marketing San Francisco and the Bay Area as the premier destination for conventions, meetings events and leisure travel. We are the economic engine for the city, and travel is our fuel – it is solely our unique point of view as the city’s travel expert that allows us to see the entire destination rather than industry-by-industry.
Sr. Manager, Convention Sales is responsible for the lead generation and hotel booking production for convention sales self-contained accounts from the West Coast territory. Maintains in-market and timely contact with customers and San Francisco self-contained meetings hotel salespeople. Also, refers any citywide business for Moscone Center from assigned territories to the Director, Citywide Accounts for the appropriate territory to maximize new and repeat convention business for the City and County of San
Francisco. The Sr. Manager is responsible for the management of administrative associate.
What you will be doing:
- Responsible for soliciting and booking self-contained hotel group business for San Francisco hotels with primary focus on booking hotel room nights in assigned territories
- Responsible for working with customers, assisting them with navigating hotel and venue products, keeping close contact with the customer and hotels in order to confirm group business
- Generate self-contained group leads and bookings and responsible for achieving or exceeding room night booking goals
- Work efficiently to ensure leads and revisions are communicated to appropriate hotels/venues in a timely fashion.
- Develop, implement, and execute territorial sales plan and strategies, demonstrating an understanding of the overall market, i.e., hotels’ strengths and weaknesses, economic trends, supply and demand
- Work collaboratively with San Francisco Home Office and Regional Sales Offices and assist with selling, implementation, and follow-through of group sales strategies
- Actively solicit and maintain accounts in assigned territories by conducting direct sales efforts through bids, targeted sales missions, sales calls and participation at tradeshows/conferences and industry activities that are designed to reach group meeting planners
- Partner with hotels’ sales teams on sales calls in order to exchange knowledge and better understand each hotel’s needs.
- Be an active member of local market industry organizations (i.e. MPI, PCMA, etc.)
- Arrange and participate in client appreciation events for meeting planners headquartered in the designated geographical territory
- Conduct follow up sales calls as a result of direct sales activities
- Create and submit a detailed call report prior to and after a sales trip is conducted
- Track and report personal sales results.
- Produce detailed expense reports monthly
- Handle all clients from initial contact through booking. Maintain detailed records of all client interaction utilizing CRM system
- Uncover new business that is not in our database.
- Interface with hotel and other San Francisco Travel partners to facilitate efficient and thorough follow up based on these fields.
- Arrange site inspections of San Francisco and accompany clients when appropriate
- Maintain records of all client contact, traces, and account management in the CRM system.
- Obtain feedback on quality of the client experience by sending out surveys (managed by sales manager if group has 249 rooms peak or less)
- Document all pertinent file activity in CRM
- Carry out periodic assignment of special promotional activities.
- Participate in and attend San Francisco Travel sponsored events.
- Give oral sales presentations as needed
- Occasional overnight travel
- Other duties may be assigned.
Attributes and Qualifications:
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Self-motivated individual with proven record of sales ability
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Quick learner of CRM system, Salesforce, and daily use of it in an efficient manner in the management of sales accounts
- Ability to communicate and work well with others in a professional manner
- Ability to handle multiple priorities
- Proficient in Microsoft Office products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- Use of Concur (Accounting/Expense software System)
Directly supervises one or more shared administrative assistants in the Convention Sales Department. Carries out supervisory responsibilities with the San Francisco Travel Association policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work; appraising performance, rewarding, and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
Education and/or Experience:
Education and/ or training equivalent to college graduate, preferably with a degree in business administration or hospitality management, plus a minimum of five years’ experience in Hotel, DMO or Convention Center Sales.
If you think you are the right candidate for this position, please provide us with the following:
- Cover letter (no more than a page, telling us why you’re the right person for this role). This is a very important step in the application process, so please take time to answer thoughtfully and thoroughly.
- Detailed resume of your relevant experience – note that a resume sent without a creative and functionally informative cover letter will only minimally be considered
- Future income requirements and/or goals
While promoting one of the greatest cities in the world, we have plenty more to offer.
- Generous vacation policy. You’ll get more than the typical 10 days.
- Flexible hybrid work policy. San Francisco Travel is in the office three days a week, plus you get 20 Work from Anywhere days a year (that’s a whole month).
- In addition to the national holidays that San Francisco Travel observes, you get a day off for your birthday that you can use any time of the year.
- You get a pension. We will contribute and help you prepare for your future.
- Premium healthcare plans.
- Cell phone credit. We’ll subsidize the cost of your phone plan.
Send to: https://sftravel.box.com/s/t25l2u54wvj2enh5m0hlk6zgiuusp0cn and [email protected] (with Sr. Manager, Convention Sales – West Coast in the subject line)
Current Volunteer Openings:
San Francisco Volunteer Ambassador
The San Francisco Visitor Information Center is temporarily closed.
Current Internship Openings:
San Francisco Travel is accepting internship applications for 2023. We support undergraduate students enrolled in Bay Area universities and colleges in Hospitality Programs. Please contact Paul Frentsos at [email protected] if interested in learning more about our internship opportunities.