The mission of the San Francisco Travel Association is to enhance the local economy by marketing San Francisco and the Bay Area as the premier destination for conventions, meetings events and leisure travel. We are the economic engine for the city, and travel is our fuel.
Current Staff Openings:
Executive Vice President & Chief Sales Officer
The Executive Vice President & Chief Sales Officer will serve as member of the executive team to oversee all convention sales and services activities of the San Francisco Travel Association. This will include responsibility for all Convention Division activities to include the long-range marketing of the City and County of San Francisco’s major convention facilities, Moscone Center. Work closely with the President and all EVP’s and Strategic Advisors. Direct reports include the Vice President, National Sales; Sr. Director, Market Strategy & Research; Manager, Convention Sales Projects; Citywide Sales staff and Self-Contained Sales Staff.
Responsible for all Division budgetary matters to include planning and implementation of programs. Works with Meeting & Convention Council and Core Hotel Group for greater transparency and accountability to the conference and convention hotels. Interfaces with the Board of Directors and Association’s Executive Committee, the leadership of the Moscone Center, key community stakeholders and works closely with the elected Committee Chairman in all matters related to sales.
The mission of the San Francisco Travel Association is to enhance the local economy by marketing San Francisco and the Bay Area as the premier destination for conventions, meetings events and leisure travel. We are the economic engine for the city, and travel is our fuel – it is solely our unique point of view as the city’s travel expert that allows us to see the entire destination rather than industry-by-industry.
What you will be doing:
· Work with the executive team to create the strategic direction and organization of sales division
· Administer and monitors all activities within Convention Sales, Convention Services, National Sales, and Market Strategy, as well as research impacted by citywide groups
· Develop the Division’s Annual Program of Work and assist in the development and on -going refinement of the San Francisco Travel Association’s strategic business plan
· Serve as senior salesperson and act as authority in all matters relating to long – range and short-term sales strategies that maximize the city’s convention facilities defined by number of citywide events and booked citywide room nights
· Oversee strategic direction and planning of the citywide and self-contained customer advisory councils with the Vice President, National Sales and Senior Director, Convention Sales
· Responsible for all budgeting for the division. Approval of all expenditures for the division including individual expense reports for division leadership personnel
· Administer assignments of special promotional activities, and all activity included in the division’s Program of Work
· Work closely with VP, National Sales, implementing San Francisco Travel Association’s policy as it relates to day-to-day account management and destination marketing. Closely monitor division’s progress toward booking goals and lead development quotas
· Work closely with all Division Vice Presidents to ensure complete integration of all sales and marketing programs into San Francisco Travel Association’s overall activities
· Oversee all operations of the Washington, DC, as well as other remote sales staff supporting regional offices
· Responsible for all division staffing to include the review and / or hiring of all personnel. Approval of division time sheets
· Responsible for the development of the division’s statistical reports
· Initiate and develop promotional plans with members of the sales and marketing committees and hospitality community
· Attend major convention/trade conferences and trade shows as the official San Francisco representative for critical domestic meeting & convention markets
· Assist with San Francisco Travel Association’s publications and collateral
· Participate in planning activities with San Francisco Travel Association’s Executive staff
· Work with all EVP’s and President in determining overall San Francisco Travel Association’s priorities
· Oversee preparation of material for Meeting & Convention Council chairs for use at Committee, Executive Committee and Board meetings. Keep sales committees apprised of Division’s activities
· Oversee the control of selling Moscone Center to make sure the booking policies are adhered to.
· Participate in and attend San Francisco Travel Association’s sponsored events
· Oversee all Revenue Management related activities that directly relate to the space management of Moscone Convention Facilities
· Oversight of the Meetings and Conventions Council
· Ensure all established protocols related to COVID-19 are adhered to related to SF Travel Staff and clients as well
· Collaborate with Moscone Management on established protocols related to COVID-19 set by State and Local Governments for safe meetings
· Recovery Task Force Groups including Moscone, California Convention Center Coalition, SF Large Gatherings, West Coast DMO’s
· Business Partner Relationships including ConferenceDirect, HelmsBriscoe, Maritz/Experient, Cvent, American Express, etc.
· San Francisco Tourism Improvement District Liaison
· Moscone Discounts and Special Offers management and oversight
· Convention Customer Representation to the City of San Francisco
· Media Inquiries/Responses
· Other duties may be assigned
Directly supervises Convention Sales & Services Division. Carries out supervisory responsibilities with the San Francisco Travel Association’s policies and applicable laws. Responsibilities include interviewing, hiring, and training employees, planning, assigning, and directing work; establishment and approval of staff goals, appraising performance, rewarding and disciplining employees; addressing complaints and resolving problems.
· To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions
· Seven to ten years of experience in the hospitality industry directly related to strategic sales leadership in maximizing the growth of in-house hotel group meetings and citywide conventions
· Prior convention and visitor’s bureau experience or hotel sales experience preferred. Must possess administrative skills with budget experience and excellent oral and written communication skills
· Ability to communicate and work well with others in a professional office environment.
· Ability to handle multiple priorities
Education & Experience
Education and training equivalent to college graduate -- business degree preferable
If you think you are the right candidate for this position, please provide us with the following:
- Cover letter (no more than a page, telling us why you’re the right person for this role)
- Detailed resume of your relevant experience – note that a resume sent without a creative and functionally informative cover letter will only minimally be considered
- Future income requirements and/or goals
Please e-mail the requested information as attachments to: 2020_EV.firstname.lastname@example.org
To learn more about us, check out our website: www.sftravel.com
Current Volunteer Openings:
San Francisco Volunteer Ambassador
The San Francisco Visitor Information Center is temporarily closed.
Current Internship Openings:
San Francisco Travel is not accepting internship applications for Summer 2020 and beyond. Our programs are currently under re-evaluation. If we are able to host Bay Area students requiring an internship for graudation in Spring 2021, we will post an update on our application process in Fall 2020. Thank you for your interest.