You may be curious about marijuana (also called cannabis, pot, weed, and a variety of colorful nicknames), now that it's become legal for recreational use here in the state of California. We want to be sure our visitors understand the new policies when they visit San Francisco. Please observe the following rules and regulations:
- You must be 21 or older to have, purchase or use recreational cannabis. This includes smoking, vaping and eating cannabis-infused products.
- You may possess 28.5 grams of cannabis plant material (about an ounce) and 8 grams of concentrated cannabis.
- It is illegal to give or sell retail cannabis to minors.
- It is illegal to drive under the influence of cannabis.
- It is illegal to consume, smoke, eat, or vape cannabis in public. It is illegal to open a package containing cannabis or any cannabis products in public. This includes but is not limited to parks and sidewalks, and business and residential areas.
- It is also illegal to consume cannabis in other locations where smoking is illegal, including bars, restaurants, buildings open to the public, places of employment, and areas within 15 feet of doors and ventilation openings.
- Even though it is legal under California law, you cannot consume or possess cannabis on federal lands such as national parks, even if the park is in California. Among the areas that are federal lands in the San Francisco Bay Area are the Presidio, Alcatraz Island, the Marin Headlands, and Ocean Beach.
- You can consume cannabis on private property, but property owners and landlords may ban the use and possession of cannabis on their properties.
- It is illegal to take your cannabis across state lines, even if you are traveling to another state where cannabis is legal.
- Only state-licensed establishments may sell retail cannabis products.
Local Cannabis Businesses
Since being legalized for recreational use, cannabis culture in San Francisco has exploded into a wide variety of products and experiences. The quality and diversity of what's offered, the luxuriousness of the experience, and the knowledge of local "budtenders" is what sets our cannabis community apart. You can see it all for yourself during the annual Evergreen San Francisco event.
Evergreen San Francisco celebrates the City’s trend-setting cannabis scene and highlights complementary wellness and sensory experiences throughout the city. Visitors can explore San Francisco's cannabis shops and lounges and learn about cannabis history in San Francisco.
Many San Francisco Bay Area dispensaries offer delivery and pick-up service, including some of the most stylish establishments. Here are a few San Francisco dispensaries and the services they’re offering to local Bay Area residents.
Barbary Coast Dispensary (952 Mission St., 2161 Irving St.)
Barbary Coast and Barbary Coast – Sunset are now offering door-to-door service from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week. Simply enter your zip code and choose your items. If they don’t service your area, they’ll provide a link to a sister property that does.
Eureka Sky (3989 17th St.)
Currently offering pre-order online with pickup services, seven days a week, 12 p.m. to 5 p.m.
Medithrive Cannabis Dispensary and Delivery (1933 Mission St.)
Consistently voted the best delivery service in the Bay Area, Medithrive is offering both curbside pick up and delivery (Mon.-Sat., 10 a.m. to 10 p.m, and Sunday, 11 a.m. to 8 p.m.) In order to expedite service, they are excepting online pre-orders only.
Moe Greens (1276 Market St.)
Ona delivers to Marin County residents from 10 a.m. to 8 p.m., Mon.-Sat. (last call at 7 p.m.) and from 10 a.m. to 6 p.m. on Sundays (last call at 5 p.m.)
Posh Green (828 Innes Ave.)
The first dispensary in San Francisco to be founded and run by a woman of color, Posh Green offers edibles, vapes, and even cannabis-infused wines. Daily discounts and delivery available.
Sava drivers will deliver curbside or to the exterior of a building. Delivery is available in San Francisco, the East Bay, Marin, Contra Costa, Peninsula/South Bay and Greater Tri-Valley areas. Delivery hours and days vary by region.
Urbana on Geary 4811 Geary Blvd.
Urbana off Mission 33 29th St.
Both stores are currently servicing advanced online orders for pick-up only. Both locations are open from 11 a.m. to 7 p.m. Orders can be placed at urbananow.com. First-time customers will receive 20% off their order using promo code URBANANOW.
For more information about what's legal, responsible use, and access to helpful resources, click here.
Cannabis remains classified as a Schedule I drug under the federal Controlled Substances Act, and its purchase, possession, distribution, or use wit